HealthCare Chaplaincy Network is a national health care organization that helps people faced with illness, suffering and grief find comfort and meaning regardless of religion or beliefs.
HealthCare Chaplaincy Network (HCCN) is a 501(c)3 national health care organization that helps people faced with illness, suffering and grief find comfort and meaning in hospitals, online, and elsewhere — whoever they are, whatever they believe, wherever they are. Our mission is to advance the integration of spiritual care in health care through clinical practice, research, and education in order to improve patient experience and satisfaction.
HCCN has been caring for the human spirit since 1961. Today, we are a leader in providing compassionate spiritual care in hospitals, online, and elsewhere and a catalyst for education and research.
Professional, board-certified chaplains:
- Are the spiritual care specialists on the health care team as doctors and nurses focus on caring for the body, and as the recognition grows that whole-person care encompasses spirit, mind, and body.
- Serve those who are ill, family and friend caregivers, and other health care professionals who deal every day with the stress of illness and loss.
- Are trained to help people to identify and draw upon their sources of spiritual strength – regardless of religion or beliefs. As one very experienced professional chaplain says, “In our encounters with people in distress, we walk into some dark places and help bring in light.”
View 3 brief videos about HealthCare Chaplaincy and our work:
- How we are Caring for the Human Spirit® in 2015 and beyond
- Francis “Ken” Duane, CEO of Heritage Brands and North America Wholesale at PVH Corporation – one of the world’s largest apparel companies, tells how our professional healthcare chaplains have helped him and others heal
- T. Michael Long, past Board Chairman of HealthCare Chaplaincy Network, talks about the importance of professional spiritual and chaplaincy care in providing excellent healthcare and our contributions to the field
Provider of professional chaplaincy clinical services in leading health care institutions. Including Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, NYU Langone Medical Center, Hospital for Special Surgery, Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Roosevelt, Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, New York Hospital Queens, St. Mary’s Center, and Winthrop University Hospital.
The first-of-its-kind online service
ChaplainsOnHand™ is the first-ever professional quality online service to provide spiritual comfort for people who are seriously ill and their caregivers – whoever they are, whatever they believe, wherever they are. It includes ChatWithAChaplain, which lets people in spiritual distress connect with a professional chaplain.
An Educational Leader
Students consistently praise our Clinical Pastoral Education program, accredited by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, for how well it trains them to provide compassionate spiritual care.
We’re an innovator in online Professional Continuing Education. With the California State University Institute for Palliative Care, we created the first online Professional Continuing Education course to prepare board certified chaplains for palliative care subspecialty certification, and the first course in Mental Health Fundamentals in Palliative Care For Spiritual Care Providers.
A Research Leader
HealthCare Chaplaincy Network has long been a leader in advancing research on the integration of spiritual care within health care.
Our first annual Caring for the Human Spirit® conference (March 31-April 3, 2014) released the largest body of research on spiritual care in health care, presented the first empirical data on the role and effectiveness of chaplaincy care interventions, and launched the new field of interdisciplinary research in spiritual care in health care. This will drive the research agenda for years to come.
Get updates on the vital role of spiritual care in health care: subscribe to our free e-newsletter.
Help us to help more people by supporting us online.